The Organ Society of Western Australia
Home  About us  Members  Executive  Constitution  Events  In The Pipeline  Pipe Organs in WA  Links  Contact

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS

Crawley St George's College

Crawley St George's College

Crawley St George

Crawley St George

Crawley St George

Crawley St George

Name of institution St. George's College
Type of institution University College
Street Address Mounts Bay Road
City Crawley
State Western Australia
Postcode 6009
Country Australia
Name of building Chapel
Name of room
Dates of the building 1931
Architect’s and builder’s names Hobbs, Smith and Forbes
Special architectural features The foundation stone was laid before the College was opened in 1928 by the Archbishop of Perth, The Most Reverend C.O.L. Riley.  The chapel runs in a North-South direction (most churches run East-West) and is built in the "collegiate" style (with the pews facing each other) which is common in the chancels of English Cathedrals and College chapels.  It has a maximum capacity of just over 100 people.
Following the Tudor style of architecture used by institutions such as Cambridge and Oxford, the college stands in contrast to the Mediterranean feel of the Hackett Memorial Buildings and the Neo-Georgian style of the Park Avenue Building. Hobbs, Smith and Forbes were commissioned to design the College. Further additions to the original buildings resulted in new south and north wings. These were completed in 1962 and 1968 by Hobbs Winning Leighton. The original buildings and gardens of St George's College are heritage listed by both the National Trust and the Australian Heritage Commission. St George’s College Chapel is also listed but only by the Australian Heritage Commission.
Special fittings The St George's College Chapel is widely regarded as one of the most beautiful liturgical buildings in Perth.
The five stained glass windows at the Southern end portray Archbishop Riley, St Boniface, St Augustine, St Aidan and Archbishop Broughton.  The three windows at the Northern end show St George, Jesus and St Paul.
There are three significant paintings in the Chapel; In Him Was Life and the Life was the Light of Men by Carol Rudyard in 1971, Christus Rex by Guy Grey Smith in 1964, and the covered triptych which is dated 1507.  It was donated as part of the John Gill collection and is Flemish or North German in origin but the dating is uncertain.  It portrays St John, Jesus and Mary and St Joseph.
Other location information St. George's College is the senior residential College within The University of Western Australia and is affiliated with the Anglican Diocese of Perth. Our first students came in 1931 which was the same year the University moved from its old buildings in Irwin Street, Perth, to the new Hackett buildings on the site in Crawley.
The original building with its Neo Gothic style of architecture and its formal gardens is a local landmark. The College grounds are entered in the Register of the National Estate by the Australian Heritage Commission.
Name of contact Rev. Richard Pengelley
Mailing Address c/- St George’s College, Crawley, WA, 6009.
Telephone 08 9449 5555
Email
Other contact information
.
Date of previous organs None
Detail of previous organs
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organs
Information about comparable instruments to previous organs
.
Present organ
Type of installation Freestanding, casework against side and rear walls of gallery
Case description Divided cases. Jarrah frames and paneling with heavily carved impost rails. Each case with central three Open Diapason pipes in flat tower, two lateral flats.  A return contains central tower of three Dulciana pipes, and seven pipes lateral flats.  All display pipes on Swell side are non-speaking
Placement in room Rear gallery
Builder's name J.E. Dodd, Adelaide
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1931
Construction materials Jarrah frames and cabinet work
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses CC-cccc
Number of keys 61
Key material White naturals, ebony sharps
Pedal compass CCC-F
Number of pedals 30
Pedalboard type Concave radiating
Pedalboard material Beech covers to naturals, ebony covers to sharps
Type of chests Slider chests
Type of key action Electro-pneumatic
Type of stop action Electro-pneumatic
Couplers Swell to Pedal, Great to Pedal, Swell Super, Swell Sub, Swell to Great, Swell Super to Great, Swell Sub to Great, Great Sub, Great Super.
Tremulants Swell tremulant rocker switch in Bass key cheek
Accessories    3 Divisional thumb pistons to  each of Sw, Gt, Ped.  with Sw duplicated on toe studs
Console type Free standing, with roll top, tab stops on single rail
Stop label material Synthetic finger tabs
Placement of console Central in gallery, rear facing
General design of console
Playing aids Thumb pistons settable through 3 way finger switches
Divisions    Great, Swell, Pedal
Wind pressures
Stop list
GREAT
Dulciana 8' Metal 61 pipes
Stopped Diapason 8' Wood  61 pipes
Open Diapason 8' Metal 61 pipes
Principal 4' Metal 61 pipes
.
SWELL
Viole d' Gamba 8' Spotted metal 61 pipes
Hohl Flute 8' Wood 61 pipes
Melodic Diapason 8' Metal 61 pipes
Oboe 8' Spotted metal 61 pipes
.
PEDAL
Bourdon 16' Wood 30 pipes
.
Total number of stops 9
Total number of ranks 9
Total number of pipes 518
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ New electro-pneumatic action and console moved in 1964 by J.E. Dodd & Sons Gunstar Organ Works.
Bellows re-leathered in 1998 by F J Larner & Co. 
Pedal keys re-covered in 1998 by Pipe Organs W.A. 
New action to Great display pipes in 2008 by Pipe Organs W.A. Pty Ltd.
Organ was damaged by water in a severe storm on 22nd March 2010.  This was not immediately apparent, but by September 2010 pedal notes were cyphering and upon dismantling it was discovered the true extent of water ingress.  Consequently, the chest was overhauled with new leather, felt, pull down wires and some timber.  Mounting points of the largest pipes was improved and other maintenance issues fixed by Pipe Organs WA Pty Ltd.
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ None
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status Very good condition
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder
Photographs Photograph of the College entrance by Tsun-Thai Chai .
Photograph of the ground from Australia Institute of Architects.
Photographs of the Chapel and organ by Graham Devenish
Technical documents 
General documents Detail of the college and chapel from St George's College web site.
Information on architectural style and designers from the University of Western Australia Archives.
.
Supporting information
.
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 22 January 2009.
Additional information on the organ by Graham Devenish 28 April 2009.
Maintance detail updated by Pipe Organs WA Pty Ltd 28 January 2011.





DGI Web Design
Home